Definition of curtain tune
1 chiefly British, old-fashioned : the overture to a play
2 : a piece of music performed between the acts of a play An overture … is not the same as a curtain tune, which can be used for any music which accompanies the drawing up of the curtain, although the two are often used interchangeably. — Vanessa Rogers, in Henry Fielding in Our Time, 2008
— called also act tune, curtain music
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game