Definition of cup barometer
: a barometer consisting of a graduated glass tube about 34 inches long filled with mercury and inverted in a cup containing mercury, the column of mercury in the tube descending until balanced by the pressure of the atmosphere, its rise and fall being a measure of change of atmospheric pressure
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game