cup and ballnoun
Definition of cup and ball
1 : a bilboquet having a cup also : the game of maneuvering the bilboquet so as to catch the ball in the cup
2 : the cross-parting in columnar igneous rocks in which one face of the parting is concave and the other convex (as in the columnar basalt of the Giant's Causeway on the north coast of Ireland)
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game