culpa la·ta | \ -lā-\
variants: or culpa magna \ -ˈmägnə , -mag- \
Definition of culpa lata
Roman & civil law
: the absence of the degree of care even inattentive or thoughtless persons would exercise under all the circumstances : gross negligence
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?