cry·o·tron | \ ˈkrīō‧ˌträn\
Definition of cryotron
: a device performing some of the functions of an electron tube and consisting of a straight wire and another wire wound in a coil around it kept at a temperature near absolute zero, the straight wire being superconducting at the low temperature but becoming nonsuperconducting when a current passes through the coil wire
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game