crunch (the) numbersidiom
Definition of crunch (the) numbers
: to process numbers : to examine and analyze numbers, especially to determine exactly how much money is available, needed, etc. When we sat down to crunch the numbers we realized that we couldn't afford a new car.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game