Definition of crossfader
: a control on a mixer or DJ mixer that allows one source to fade in while another fades out The crossfader is essentially a switch that makes it possible for the DJ to start, stop, or switch sounds faster than could be done on a traditional instrument. — Sofia Dahl et al., in Musical Gestures, 2010 Crossfaders, which didn't become common until the late 1970s, were initially used by radio DJs as an efficient way to segue from one song to the next.— Mark Katz, Groove Music, 2012
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game