Definition of crossbar shot
1 : a round shot with two projections so that it appears to have a bar running through its center
2 : an obsolete projectile that folds into a sphere for loading but that on leaving the gun opens into a cross with a quarter ball at the end of each arm
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game