Definition of cross-dyeing
: the production by either of two methods of multicolored effects on fabrics woven of more than one kind of fiber (as animal and vegetable fibers) having different affinities for dyes:
a : the dyeing of a fabric by dyeing one or more kinds of fiber in the fabric with or without subsequent dyeing of the other fibers present
b : the dyeing of one kind of fiber (as wool) after it has been woven with other fiber (as cotton) already dyed in the form of yarn
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game