creep up onphrasal verb
crept up on; creeping up on; creeps up on
Definition of creep up on
: to slowly and quietly move closer to (someone) without being noticed We tried to creep up on them but they heard our footsteps. —often used figuratively Old age creeps up on us.The deadline had crept up on them.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game