Definition of crane line
1 : one of the lines running from the spritsail topmast of a sailing ship to the middle of the forestay to steady the former or one of the small lines for preventing the lee backstays from chafing against the yards
2 : a small line joining the backstays on a sailing ship —usually used in plural
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?