Definition of cradle roof
: a timber roof much used in the middle ages with the rafters, collar beams, and braces of each truss combined into a form approaching that of an arch and thus giving the effect of a series of arches or when ceiled of a barrel vault — compare compass roof
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game