Definition of crack arrester
1 : a plate on a ship riveted over a crack in another plate or over a stressed area where a crack might start
2 : a hole drilled or a slot cut at the apex of a crack in the plate of a ship to stop the crack from spreading or at a point of stress to stop a crack from starting
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game