Definition of cover plate
1 : a cover, hood, or head used to close in or cover over the end or top of a receptacle, chamber, or section of a structure
2 : a plate riveted to the flange of a steel beam, girder, or column to increase its strength
— called also flange plate
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game