coup de reposnoun
coup de re·pos | \ rə¦pō\
plural coups de repos\ " \
Definition of coup de repos
: a chess move leaving the main feature of a position unchanged and forcing the opponent to move to his or her ultimate disadvantage
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game