variants: or counter-trend
plural countertrends or counter-trends
Definition of countertrend
: a trend that is in response or opposition to another trend : an opposing trend … illustrates a developing career countertrend. While conventional wisdom holds that many executives are now abandoning the frustrations of big companies for the entrepreneurial freedom of smaller ones, some salmon are still swimming upstream to larger companies.— Hal Lancaster Yet a small countertrend can finally be detected in the design of apartment houses. More than a handful are reviving the spirit of prewar buildings that have long been automatic best-sellers.— Suzanne Stephens —often used before another noun counter-trend tradersa counter-trend pattern
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game