variants: or counter-tactics
Definition of countertactics
1 plural in construction : the actions, methods, or strategies used to counter an opponent Wellington knew that he had to find the countertactics that would deny Napoleon their operational benefits in battle.— Alan Forrest … the computer system that now allows New York police to pinpoint the location of every serious crime and focus their countertactics.— Tom Morganthau and Vern E. Smith Negotiators have developed countertactics to reduce their vulnerability when opponents mislead about their beliefs and preferences.
2 usually singular in construction : the science, art, or skill of countering an opponent's tactics a master of countertactics
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?