Definition of countersink
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to make a countersink on (a hole)
2 : to set the head of (something, such as a screw) at or below the surface
Definition of countersink (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a bit or drill for making a funnel-shaped enlargement at the outer end of a drilled hole
2 : the enlargement made by a countersink
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game