Definition of countersink
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to make a countersink on (a hole)
2 : to set the head of (something, such as a screw) at or below the surface
Definition of countersink (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a bit or drill for making a funnel-shaped enlargement at the outer end of a drilled hole
2 : the enlargement made by a countersink
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game