variants: or counter-pressure
plural counterpressures or counter-pressures
Definition of counterpressure
1 : weight or force in a contrary or reverse direction … allow the user to change the firmness of the mattress by adjusting the flow of air, providing a counterpressure to body weight.— Moshe Lewis counterpressure applied to the lower back during labor for pain relief
2 : conflicting or opposing pressure (such as political or social pressure) But some of them might actually need some counterpressure before they can effectively stand up to the illiberal forces growing stronger on so many campuses.— Jonathan Haidt … the internal pressures and counterpressures influencing the Arab world …— Laura Secor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/22/19
- Is 'Positively' Positively Legal?
- The True Story of 'Realize' and 'Realise'
- Out to Sea with 'Wave' and 'Waive'
Ask the Editors
- Name that Food Quiz Take the quiz
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game