variants: or counter-myth
plural countermyths or counter-myths
Definition of countermyth
: a myth that challenges or contradicts another myth From an anthropological perspective, myths can be seen as imagined narratives that address existential human issues and have behavioral consequences. Old myths are frequently challenged by countermyths in cultures, families, institutions, and individuals.— Stanley Krippner The making of a new myth—in this case, a feminist counter-myth that challenges the dominance of patriarchal values…— Henry Jenkins
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?