variants: or counter-movement
plural countermovements or counter-movements
Definition of countermovement
1 : a movement in an opposite direction She observed that whenever the body abruptly moves one way, there is a fallout of countermovements and readjustments …— Paul Trachtman Suburban stress has not produced any large-scale countermovement back to the cities or out to the countryside, however.— William Schneider
2 : an organized movement that arises in opposition to something Opponents labeled the whole program socialistic, and, in the 1960s, a strong countermovement developed … — The Bangor Daily News
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?