variants: or counter-effort
plural counterefforts or counter-efforts
Definition of countereffort
: an effort made in order to oppose or hinder another effort … horror sequels tend to share an indefatigable evil force … that … ultimately emerges victorious, despite valiant counterefforts, to live to see another day (and to star in another sequel).— Calum Marsh " … they're putting pressure on congressmen and there's not a counter-effort to steel the spine of some of these congressmen … "— Mo Brooks Public opinion … is now reportedly permanently and adamantly so opposed to salmon farming that no amount of counter-effort could possibly change the public mood.— Terence Corcoran
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game