variants: or counter-demonstration
plural counterdemonstrations or counter-demonstrations
Definition of counterdemonstration
: a demonstration (see demonstration sense 4) occurring in opposition to another demonstration … CBS turned its attention to a demonstration in Manhattan against the government's Vietnam policy, with a counterdemonstration of pickets screaming that the protesters were disloyal.— William E. Leuchtenburg
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?