variants: or counter-strike
plural counterstrikes or counter-strikes
Definition of counterstrike
: a strike that retaliates against or counters earlier strike : a return strike government counterstrikes against the rebel stronghold … the belief on both sides that any attack would be met with an equally devastating counterstrike.— W. J. Hennigan and Brian Bennett
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?