Definition of cotton leafworm
: the slender greenish black-and-white-marked larva of a tropical American noctuid moth (Alabama argillacea) that migrates northward as far as southeastern Canada in the spring and deposits its eggs on cotton leaves on which the larvae feed often thereby defoliating the plants
— called also cotton leaf caterpillar
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?