variants: or cotija cheese
Definition of cotija
: a hard, white, crumbly Mexican cheese made from cow's milk Another Mexican-style cheese that's great for summer meals is cotija. Firm, white, and salty, it crumbles readily and is a grand alternative to parmesan in salads or sprinkled over vegetables.— Jerry Anne Di Vecchio … filled with a tangle of beans, Mexican sausage, crumbly cotija cheese and lettuce …— Miriam Morgan
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game