Definition of correspondence principle
: a principle of spectroscopy: the characteristics of spectral series are in approximate agreement with both the classical electromagnetic theory and the quantum theory of electron transitions, the correspondence becoming closer as the quantum numbers involved become greater
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game