variants: or less commonly coronograph
plural coronagraphs also coronographs
Definition of coronagraph
: a telescope for observation of a star's corona The American spacecraft was to carry the solar coronagraph, the only instrument on the mission capable of imaging the sun's polar regions …— M. Mitchell Waldrop Using an instrument called a coronagraph, the astronomers can block a star's light, to catch the dim glow of dark matter that may surround it.— Jonathan Weiner
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game