Definition of copper chloride
: a chloride of copper:
a : a white poisonous powder CuCl made by reducing cupric chloride and used chiefly as a catalyst and as an absorbent of carbon monoxide
— called also copper(I) chloride, cuprous chloride
b : a yellowish brown deliquescent anhydrous powder CuCl2 made by heating copper in chlorine or a green crystalline dihydrate CuCl2.2H2O made by evaporating cupric oxide in hydrochloric acid, both being used chiefly as a mordant in dyeing and printing and in some metallurgical processes
— called also copper(II) chloride, cupric chloride
c : any of various basic chlorides (as a brown powder CuCl2.3CuO) or mixtures formed on exposure of cupric chloride to air used as pigments and fungicides
— called also copper oxychloride
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?