copernican systemnoun, usually capitalized C
Definition of copernican system
: the system of planetary motions maintained by Copernicus according to which the earth rotates on an axis once each day and revolves around the sun once each year while the other planets have orbits also centered near the sun
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game