coop upphrasal verb
cooped up; cooping up; coops up
Definition of coop up
: to keep (a person or animal) inside a building or in a small space especially for a long period of time —usually used as (be) cooped up The children were cranky after being cooped up in the house all day.The dog is cooped up in a cage.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game