Definition of cooling-off period
: a period of time that must pass before someone can do something or before an agreement becomes final The law requires a cooling-off period between the time a gun is purchased and when it may be possessed. The workers have agreed to a 30-day cooling-off period before they strike. Once you sign the contract, you have a 14-day cooling-off period within which to change your mind.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game