Definition of cooling-off period
: a period of time that must pass before someone can do something or before an agreement becomes final The law requires a cooling-off period between the time a gun is purchased and when it may be possessed. The workers have agreed to a 30-day cooling-off period before they strike. Once you sign the contract, you have a 14-day cooling-off period within which to change your mind.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game