cook upphrasal verb
cooked up; cooking up; cooks up
Definition of cook up
1 : to prepare (food) for eating especially quickly I can cook up some hamburgers. He cooked this whole meal up in less than 30 minutes.
2 : to invent (something, such as an idea, excuse, etc.) to deal with a particular situation They cooked up a scheme to fool their neighbor. You'll have to cook an excuse up quickly.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?