con·tra·yer·va | \ ˌkän‧trəˈyərvə, ˌkōn‧-, -yer-\
variants: or contrahierba \ -trəˈyerbə , -yervə \
Definition of contrayerva
: a tropical American herb (Dorstenia contrayerva) the aromatic root of which was formerly used as a stimulant, tonic, and diaphoretic also : any West Indian species of Aristolochia similarly used
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game