con·trap·pos·to | \ ˌkōntrəˈpä(ˌ)stō\
Definition of contrapposto
: a position of the depicted human body (as in late Renaissance painting and sculpture) in which twisting of the vertical axis results in hips, shoulders, and head turned in different directions
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?