contradiction in termsnoun phrase
Definition of contradiction in terms
: a phrase that contains words which have very different or opposite meanings I think "working vacation" is a contradiction in terms.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game