:the state of being checked, restricted, or compelled to avoid or perform some action
- … the constraint and monotony of a monastic life …
- —Matthew Arnold
- a life of invalidism and constraint
:a constraining condition, agency, or force :check
- put legal constraints on the board's activities
- Budget constraints have forced me to revise my travel plans.
:repression of one's own feelings, behavior, or actions
:a sense of being constrained :embarrassment
- " … a constraint between us as if we were strangers … "
- —John P. Marquand