con·fer·va | \ kənˈfərvə\
Definition of conferva
1 capitalized, in some especially former classifications : a genus of filamentous green algae containing a number of species of doubtful relationship many of which are now usually placed in the genus Tribonema
2 plural confervae\ -(ˌ)vē\ : an alga of the genus Tribonema broadly : any of various filamentous algae that form scums in still or sluggish fresh water
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game