variants: or comp time
Definition of compensatory time
: paid time off given to an employee instead of overtime pay in compensation for extra hours of work The proposed law does not mandate that employers offer compensatory time, but gives them the option to make it available to their employees. The bill also gives the employee the right to reject compensatory time in lieu of overtime pay if she prefers to take the money.— Susan McHenry, Ms., May/June 1997 The President is proposing incentives for employers to offer flex-time arrangements that would allow workers to work longer hours so they could accrue comp time and use it at their discretion.— John F. Dickerson et al., Time, 9 Aug. 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game