Definition of compensating winding
: a winding embedded in the pole faces of a commutating alternating-current or direct-current machine and connected in series with the armature, the magnetic field of the winding neutralizing the cross-magnetizing field of the armature
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game