com·pact·i·fi·ca·tion | \ kəmˌpaktəfə̇ˈkāshən\
Definition of compactification
1 : a compact topological space that contains a given topological space as a subset or that contains a subset homeomorphic to the given topological space
2 : the application of a topological compactification to a model of the universe (such as one involving superstrings) in which the ordinary dimensions of space are held to coexist with several other dimensions too infinitesimal in size to observe
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game