Definition of common recovery
: a contrived legal proceeding involving an action and a judgment at law that was formerly widely used in England to convert an estate in fee tail into an estate in fee simple so that it could be freely sold, given, or otherwise disposed of as desired
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?