Definition of common grackle
: a North American grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) having glossy black plumage that especially in the adult male reflects a purple, green, or bronze iridescence … you know that those annoying, long-tailed blackbirds in your backyard are common grackles …— Michael Stirek, The Bismarck (North Dakota) Tribune, 11 June 2009 In North America, the … red-winged blackbird … and common grackle can form flocks approaching a million birds.— Kevin Cook, Bird Watcher’s Digest, January/February 1995 — see bronzed grackle, florida grackle , purple grackle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?