Definition of common dolphin
: either of two dolphins of the genus Delphinus (D. delphis and D. capensis) that are found in temperate and tropical waters and have a brown or black back, a whitish belly, and often an hourglass-shaped pattern on the sides They explain how common dolphins are often found in large numbers and are recognizable by yellowish stripes on their sides above white bellies.— Pete Thomas, The Los Angeles Times, 30 Mar. 2004 A pod of common dolphins celebrated our mid-day departure from Esperance Bay by surfing our bow wave and leaping 3 m into the air.— Howard Whelan, Australian Geographic, July/September 1992
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game