Definition of common count
: any of various technical counts in law that are of a general nature and are used in pleadings to prevent a failure of justice by reason of an inadvertent variance
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game