Definition of common barberry
: an upright shrub (Berberis vulgaris) that is widely naturalized in the U.S. from Europe, has gray branches, usually forked prickles, bristle-toothed leaves, and juicy berries in elongate clusters, and is important as the alternate host of the fungus that causes stem rust of wheat — compare japanese barberry
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game