Definition of commissary court
1 : the court of a bishop's commissary
2a : a former supreme probate and divorce court in Scotland absorbed by the Court of Sessions in 1863
b : a county or sheriff's court in Scotland that appoints and confirms executors of estates possessing personal property
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?