Definition of commish
: commissioner the police commish People who can't make the march are encouraged to fax art to HPD [Department of Housing Preservation and Development] commish Deborah Wright …— Esther Kaplan, The Village Voice, 24 May 1994 especially : the commissioner of an organized professional sport Just as the controversy got interesting, the commish jetted to L.A. for an emergency player meeting and brokered a quick resolution. — Geoff Shackelford, Golf World, 26 Apr. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?