com·i·ta·tus | \ ˌkäməˈtätəs, -tād-\
Definition of comitatus
1 : a body of wellborn men attached to a king or chieftain by the duty of military service also : the status of the body so attached
2 [ Medieval Latin, from Latin ] : county —used chiefly in the phrase posse comitatus
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?